I found out from Melanie at Platinum Blonde Life that I was tagged by Julie at Almost Girl to fill out the 5 things meme. There is nothing I like more than getting sucked into quizzes, memes, surveys, 4-hour long google chats about unicorn horns – especially when the alternative is like, figuring out my entire life. Also, I finally put up my bio on the contributor’s page, so it’s time to start the share.
Like Julie however, I’m going to stick to fashion tidbits.
Here we go:
There’s an internet meme circulating called ‘five things you didn’t know about me’. Here’s how it works:
1. someone tags you,
2. you post five things about yourself that you haven’t already mentioned on your blog,
3. you tag people you’d like to know more about
1. Circa late 80s early 90s I has a serious matching problem. From the shoelaces in my white Keds, to the scrunchie in my side-ponytail, everything matched. One of my favorite outfits consisted of a various white-with-black-polka dots/black-with-white polka dots pieces – from the double layer of socks, scrunched down, the cotton/lycra bike pants, cotton/lycra mini-skirt, tank top, black and white jelly bracelets, black and white earrings, and to yes, the black-and-white-polka dot-scrunchie.
2. I don’t have regular socks anymore. Ever since Target started making argyle knee socks, knee socks with unicorns on them, knee socks with ruffles, I rarely wear anything else.
3. As Julie mentioned in her 5 things meme, I also own a pair of pants from Ann Taylor. They are wide legged, high-waisted light black wool. I recently brought them out of my closet at my parent’s house (where things live until they become wearable again) in the hopes that they might be, well, wearable again. Verdict is still out as I have gotten used to a nice 7.5-8 inch rise and am not sure they are long enough.
4. My favorite fashion magazine is called Lula – which I read voraciously and then keep on my table right by the couch when I need a fashion pick-me-up because it only comes out twice a year and costs as much as a book! If I could close my eyes and make a fashion universe it would be this magazine, which is really more like an art book, complete with interviews by people I love like Lisa Rovner and Miranda July. It leads me to shock San Diego with things like vintage aprons and petticoats.
5. My mom has been great about keeping me decked out in great accessories from her travels, making sure to gift me with great pieces every year, like my sterling silver criss-cross bangle that I wear all the time. Even at the gym. In spite of this, and of having worked for a jewelry company, I’ve only recently become interested in buying jewelry for myself, especially rings and earrings. Some of my favorite new pieces are this branch ring by Lisa Cimino and these amazing circle pieces by metalsmith Amy Tavern (thanks mom!).