So-what-do-fashion-publicists-do-FINAL

Fashion PR 101: So, What Do Fashion Publicists Do?

By Brooke Moreland

Image via WENN

I am obsessed with Kell on Earth. This week marks the season finale of what I consider to be one of the best shows on Bravo, and I’m a little bummed. The draw I feel to the show is a strange one. Most of the characters are total bitches. The sunken-eyed underlings work long hours under crazy of pressure and endure endless verbal abuse. Yet I continue to be impressed and fascinated with Kelly Cutrone and respect what she had done with her business.

My fascination with this show really has opened my eyes to the reality of a business I never knew much about: Fashion PR. It’s an industry I really did not know a lot about. What exactly do people in Fashion PR do? Could it really be as crazy as the ladies and gents at People’s Revolution make it seem? Is it fun? So I decided to interview Lindsey Green, Director of Communications for Jill Stuart, to help me clear some of this stuff up.

What exactly does a fashion publicist do all day?

I’m the Director of Communications which is PR but also covers more. Basically all operations regarding name, the brand, press, image, magazine credits, you name it- all goes through me. It’s my job to make sure our company’s image is presented in the best way possible. Fashion is a big world and it can be hard to control. You do spend time putting out fires, but mostly I spend my days focusing on gaining exposure for our line, whether is communicating with editors and seeing what styles they need for upcoming shoots, talking to celeb stylists and coordinating which looks would be great for their clients, setting up photo shoots and interviews and generally handling all business Jill Stuart related.

How did you get into this line of work? Is there any way to train for it, or is it mostly on-the-job learning stuff?

I got into fashion pretty randomly. I didn’t go to fashion school or have aspirations to be in the fashion world. I have a very business-oriented mind and I came here after working in restaurants and hotels and doing a little film. I was always very interested in style and fashion personally and decided to take the leap and I took an internship at Jill Stuart during fashion week a few years ago. It was one of the toughest weeks of my life coming in three days before a show knowing zero about the industry, but it was the best thing I’ve ever done. It was like getting a four year degree in four and a half days. I was brought on as an assistant where I assisted the former Director of Communications for a while and then took over the position when she moved on. It was all on the job training. Jill was there every step of the way to guide me as well, which has made all the difference. We’re a great team. I think the only way to train for this kind of position or to find out if it’s for you is to just jump in and fearlessly do it. I think on the job training and internships are the best tools for learning the fashion business. You can’t be taught any of this in a classroom.

Is your job a glamorous one? Do you have to go out to parties and mingle for work? Is that fun, or is work always work?

There are certainly glamorous aspects to any fashion job but it’s not the kind of glamour people perceive when they see movies or watch reality TV. It’s tough, hard work with long hours, lots of details and responsibilities. Going out to events is often a part of my job. Sometimes it’s really exciting as there’s so many great things going on in the fashion world, but obviously some nights you’ve been working all day and it can be tough to then go out. I find the experience really fun and I feel really fortunate to be able to be a part of it. Who’s going to complain about free cocktails and mingling with interesting people? I’m not.

What advice would you give to someone who is interested in a career change to PR?

I would recommend that they try to get a little bit of on the job experience if possible. Maybe an internship during fashion week. Fashion week is the best time to test your ability to handle the pressure, the hours and all the many details that come with the job. It’s fast paced and you have to keep up. If you can cut it during fashion week, you can survive in the industry.

Can you explain the different types of fashion PR?

There are a few different types. What I do is called “In House PR” meaning I just work in house for one brand. I love this because it gives me the ability to really connect with our line and have a relationship with editors, stylists, our design team etc as the face of the brand. They can all come to me and they know me. I’ve been with Jill for over two years and we’re like a family. I absolutely love it. Working in house also means you take care of many day to day things and also have a lot more business thrown your way than just PR. Fashion is, after all, a business and being inside a house you gain that exposure in huge levels. Then there’s Agency PR. We work with a fantastic Agency, Alison Brod PR. They rep lots of different brands, yet somehow manage to make us feel like we’re their only client, which is the trick to running a good agency operation. Alison is never out of reach to me, we talk almost daily, I also have constant communication with her VP of fashion. Agency PR gives you the very face paced experience of working with LOTS of difference brands. There’s more pitching stories, more events to work and set up and plan for, lots of clients to juggle and different personalities to navigate. ABPR helps me handle almost all the details of our show such as our invites, seating chart (that’s a big one, and I love them for it!) making sure the celebrities coming have everything they need, they set up backstage interviews and requests for me to approve. We still over see everything, but they are there to make sure it goes exactly to our liking. I think to be great in Fashion PR it’s vital to have some experience working at both an Agency and In house. For someone just starting out an agency job can be ideal. You get so much exposure and you learn quickly, because you have to.

Do you feel pressure to dress well for your job?

For important meetings and events, of course I want to look great. I was a fan of Jill Stuart clothing before I came here, so I wear our line constantly. However day to day in the office, I’m a pretty casual gal. You’ll find me most days in a plaid button down and jeans and during the college football season, you’ll see in my Florida Gators T-shirt every Friday. Go Gators!

What are some of the perks of working in your business?

It’s a lot of fun working in fashion. It’s one of the few businesses that’s 100 percent business and also 100 percent creative, which makes it very special. Obviously I love being able to get clothes, I wear our brand literally all the time, and being that I love the designs, that’s my favorite perk! Also, being able to go to events, meet people, make connections. It’s just an all around great industry to be a part of.

Is there money to be made in this line of work?

There can be, but like any job not at first. For those of us on the PR and business side, if you’re good at what you do, the possibility to be paid well is pretty high. It definitely takes time. Starting salaries in fashion, like most creative industries are low and you have to pay your dues, but there’s light at the end of the tunnel if you work hard and put yourself in a position to succeed.

If someone wants to be a fashion designer, is it helpful at all for them to her their start working in PR?

I personally don’t think so. I think if you want to be a designer, be a designer. Take a design internship or wait for the right opportunity. For designers it’s vital they know how PR works so if you can be a part of a company where you can closely observe PR, small companies such as Jill are perfect for this, that’s ideal. PR is great to make connections if you’re a designer, but I find those who really want to design and have that creative mind aren’t happy for long before they are longing to be a part of the design team. So if you’re a designer, stick with it and really fight to get into the design department.

Have you seen the Bravo show Kell on Earth? Do you think it accurately portrays the industry? Do you like it? Is everyone really as stressed out as the employees of People’s Revolution? Is it really that miserable? (I’m obsessed with this show and really curious about other people’s take on it.)

Um yes and I LOVE IT! First off, Kelly Cutrone is one of the best in industry and with good reason. She trusts her employees with immense responsibilities because she’s kept her firm small and intimate, which for clients is ideal, this is why people flock to that firm for representation. Is it that miserable during fashion week…it can be, but at the same time you still enjoy it, if you can’t enjoy it even in the stressful times, then it’s not the right industry for you. I love watching the show because even though my situation at Jill is very different, I can still relate to it. Obviously on reality TV the drama is going to be played up and the stress is going to be played up, but fashion is a high stress industry and if you can’t handle that pressure then you’re not going to succeed. This, as I like to say, is a world for the tough.

This article originally appeared on The Gloss. View the original post.

Featured image courtesy of Candice Lake. Design courtesy of Yazmina Cabrera, Girl with a Banjo.

• Christina Perry
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Great article! I’m looking to enter the fashion industry either in the Marketing or PR side. I have experience in both through internships and I’m in my last year of graduate school to receive my MBA in Project Management. If anyone has additional advice, job, or internship information about the fashion industry I would greatly appreciate it! I LOVE PR Couture! Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @styl3tym3

• Kelly
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Wow! I absolutely love this article – it’s definitely worth reading! It’s great to hear all of the fun details regarding Fashion PR. I am a die hard Kell on Earth fan…and I hope a second season is coming! Every time I watch the show, I dream about working there! Thanks for a great article.

• marieke
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Cool! Very great post. Interesting to hear an insiders view on fashion PR.

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Great interview. I just started watching Kell on Earth and have spent the past two weeks obsessively watching clips and downloading torrents (shhh).
    Nice to hear about fashion PR from a slightly different perspective.
    .-= Tamia´s last blog ..Whatever YOU like =-.

• Posted April 8, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!
    Im in my second year as a PR major and i can’t wait to get into Fashion PR!
    It’s been my dream :)
    Thanks for sharing!

• Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

I know I’m late in saying this, but I wanted to leave a note of thanks for posting this article! I keep coming back to re-read it. Keep up the great work!
    .-= Tyler´s last blog ..The First Designer Purchase =-.

• lisa
    Posted April 20, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

You’ve got to be kidding me. She must be related to someone. There is no way you can be an intern know nothing and 2 years later jump to be the Director of Communications . As someone whose been in the industry I’ve never seen that happen .Sorry I’m need to know the real story

• swalden
    Posted September 24, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink

I think fashion PR is such a interesting job I am going to school to be a pr and that was really helpful for me I take all the advice I can get. I live in the midwest and it is hard to help people understand what I want to do its like I live on another planet its going to be great to move to a city and be able to express my love for fashion to people who really get it!!!

• Rachel Majors
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

This is a great article. I love Kell on Earth too. I’ve always wondered the difference between Fashion PR and other types of PR.

• Kyotosandz
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I am glad that I fell upon this article, thank you for writing for it. I am interested in getting into the field of Fashion PR, but need some insight on the best way to start. Thank you for giving a view into the life of Mrs/Ms Moreland. It has been a helpful hand to my quest in becoming part of this industry.

• Roxychick85holla
    Posted March 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

way to go! i’ve always thought about going into Fashion PR, for now i’m in school for fashin design. But thanks again for this really thorough interview it def gives me more clarity.

• Elizakn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this kind of interview about what is really fashion pr since there is no much information found about this field. Since I am really interested in this sector, I have to say that this is a really inspiring interview for me. By reading all the tips given by Lindsey Green for someone who wants to work in fashion pr and how a typical day is for pr practitioners helps me a lot!

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

To add to this, here’s a great profile of Valentino’s Director of Public Relations, Carlos Souza

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

• Mike Kortoci
    Posted April 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I was quite surprised that she was never into the fashion industry previously, nor had the desire to get in like most women out there. Great article, I wish Kelly all of the best

• Mike Kortoci
    Posted April 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

• Posted April 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Love the interview with Lindsey Green, this post showed a great insight into the PR fashion world.

• Posted April 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

• Fabrice L.B.
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Up until a few weeks ago I was ecstatic about dipping my feet into fashion PR.  Then someone told me that it doesn’t pay well.  I have to admit I was really discouraged, especially being that I’m spending a load of money completing two degrees (public relations and history).  But after reading this article I have definitely given it some thought again.

• Fabrice L.B.
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• abdiel technologies
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

http://www.Hound.com is a good source of jobs because it only shows you jobs from employer websites and every other job board out there
    Columbus job site is an excellent job site.We can search any kind of job in the site.It provides best jobs in any category.This site is doing excellent job
    public relations job

• abdiel technologies
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

public relations job

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

http://www.Hound.com is job portal site, it contain so many job for job seeker it has
    many option for job seeker.  Hound.com  having different options and different sector for job seeker
    it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad I read this. I want to be a designer & this article definitely answered my question

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

• Thabilet
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for writing this, as a young woman who is about to live her dream in the same industry im so inspired and i now have a couple of ideas to share with my co-workers .

Thank you, you did  agood job.

• Thabilet
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you, you did  agood job.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this post. I enjoyed this interview because it gave insight in the fashion PR world. This is the career path I have always wanted. I went to beauty school prior to going to University of Oregon for a PR degree in hopes it would lead me into fashion PR. I love hearing about how people start off and where life takes them.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

• Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I enjoyed reading about what fashion publicist and what they actually do. I am interested in fashion PR and also newly found this industry. It was helpful to read about how the fashion publicist is in charge of everything “regarding name, the brand, press, image, magazine credits.” I also enjoyed the advice section. It gives me hope for my new adventures in the public relations industry.

• Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

• Laura Ledesma
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Great read! I also think Kelly Cutrone is fascinating. Many people dislike her but I have “If You Have To Cry Go Outside” on my iPhone and I reference it all the time.

• Laura Ledesma
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

• AlexL
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

After reading this blog post, I was able to get a deeper understanding and feel about the industry that I thought I already knew so much about. Lindsey Green, Director of Communications for Jill Stuart, is among the most famous Fashion PR practitioners in the world, so what better way to dig into the “nitty gritty” of the field. I have a pretty good understanding of what the industry entails and what it has to offer, but some of the information in this post threw me for a loop. Green has, in my eyes, the perfect job. From her interview, it seems like a lot of work and overwhelming at times, but the good definitely seem to outweigh the bad. She is constantly working on the PR side of the company, keeping its image positive and reeling in clients and exposure, while continuing to communicate with editors and celebrities for their interviews, photo shoots, and other events. It pleased me to hear that a lot of the tasks and duties that Fashion PR practitioners take on in the field are learned “on the job.” I firmly believe that no matter how many PR classes you take you will never be fully prepared for everything that may be thrown your way. Green’s outlook on “jumping in and fearlessly doing it” is so true.
    The perks Green talks about in her interview excite me. Getting to wear their brand out and sell it by simply showing it off is amazing. Just like she says, not many other businesses get to be both 100 percent business oriented and creative. The events that Fashion PR practitioners get to attend and the connections that are made through relationships and the events is nothing short of amazing. The elaborate decorations and attire that many people see on TV and only dream of being apart of in real life, is a Fashion PR specialist career. They make a living out of being able to create, design, and put on astonishing events that are plastered all over the Internet, TV, magazines, and social media. A lot of hard work, dedication, personality and the right attitude make for a perfect Fashion PR practitioner, and Lindsey Green is an ideal woman in this industry to idolize.

• AlexL
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

• Posted May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

OMG!! This article is like amazing! I feel like this article ultimately answers all of the questions that I had about my career. The show “Kell on Earth” is really one of the best shows to me and she is a major inspiration to me. I am going into my senior year in college and I feel like this has given me a lot of details for the career path that I have chosen. I’m excited that posts like this are out there to help students like me who feel afraid of the real world. Again I’m excited about this article and I want to see more!

• Posted May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

• Posted June 5, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

WOW I love this article. it is so interesting to get a look into the world of someone who I think has really been changing the industry. This article is a great resource for someone hoping to be a fashion publicist!
    Thanks for the great article

• Posted June 5, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thanks for the great article

• Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!

• Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!

• Posted August 21, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Thank you for the review! It is very actual for me, some of the info is just right what I need. It is very absorbing review. To be honest, I thought it would not be that interesting, however I was wrong. I’ve found lots of good info for myself. Regards!

• Posted August 21, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

• Ashley Monique
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

This interview was very helpful and inspirational. I love fashion and am majoring in journalism. From reading this I am definitely sure that this is the line of work I want to go in. I am hopeful that I will be able to become successful in this line of work!

• Ashley Monique
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

• Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I enjoy reading this because I learned much about fashion publicists and what is their job. To be honest I never evolved in this type of PR before and I am stunned how fashion PR is complex and interesting.

• Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

• Jen
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

What an inspiring interview! I am just finishing my undergraduate degree in PR and I have always had interest in the fashion industry. I started working in retail a few years ago and have loved working for the organization that hired me, which is unique to many people who have worked in retail, but I think it has really opened my eyes to the fashion world. I would love to move away from sales and find a position more on the corporate side of the company and the insight given in the interview has really been insightful. With the emergence of PR and growing awareness of its importance it seems like anyone starting out in the profession needs to put in the work in order to move up the ladder.

• Jen
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

• Posted December 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the great article. I am currently a Public Relations Post-Graduate Student that is very interested in the Fashion Industry and this article has helped me to better understand the role of PR in the Fashion Industry. I have learned that fashion PR not only includes “putting out fires”, but more-so focusing on how to gain exposure for the client that you are working for. It is also surprising to learn that fashion PR deals with setting up photoshoots and interviews that are related to your client. What I really gained from this interview is that the best way to see if the fashion industry is for you is to do an internship and get the hands-on experience as soon as possible. While education can help to prepare you for most situations, it is only through hands-on experience that you can determine if fashion PR is the right career for you.

• Posted December 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

• Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

This is a genius interview. For many reasons, but foremost because of Lindsey’s take on how the stress IS the fun part. This is something I’ve never been able to get anyone OUTSIDE the industry to understand. Especially those training to go into it. “The life” isn’t about the cocktail parties and tiaras… that becomes part of the job. The FUN part is how amazing you feel after pulling together the most brilliant show, with so many aspects to it that normal people would just lose count and go sit in a corner and cry. That’s not bragging rights, because it really is a form of insanity at it’s best, and you typically need a really good day of down time after. The stress will really and truly eat away at you at the same time that it boosts you up, but it’s the same rush as going into battle must be (thinking Roman soldiers here) with such intense chaos. If you pull through, those battle scars and dents in your helmet are what give you the high that makes it all worthwhile. If you are OCD, insanely bored with only one line of work and always read three or four books at the same time, then fashion is for you. What styles you wear and who you know are only a small part of it.

I also love that she is dressed in plaid button ups on her less visible days. Welcome to the other reality of the industry. On any shoot, or behind the scenes of any show, I am wearing jeans with multiple pockets on the legs which somehow become full of everything from bra bits to extra stockings to hairpieces… safety pins in my shirt and a roll of tape on my arm. It never starts out that way, but I’ve learned to just wear whatever in my wardrobe has multiple pockets and toss the heels.

Somebody up there said it’s not possible to jump into the position as Lindsey did. I just want to say that it’s more than possible, and I think that’s the same with any position in the industry. You need to be in the right place at the right time. Going to school definitely helps, especially if you are after a specific position or with a specific company.. and you want to tailor your entry to fit that… but often just hitting the floor running is what is required. I NEVER thought I would end up in fashion, and still, after twenty years of it I have a hard time saying I’m part of the fashion industry because it puts the wrong spin on what I do for a lot of people… but I started in film and bridal and ended up here completely by accident. I’m in a small town now, and I’m here because I was giving up the industry entirely… but somehow it always seems to find me :)

• Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

• Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

I absolutely loved this interview! I am currently a junior at Kent State Univeristy in Northeastern Ohio studying Public Relations and Fashion Media and I sometimes get discouraged. It’s difficult having to study study study when most of what I am perusing is “out of the class” teachings which was stated earlier on in this interview. Although I know I will stay in school and graduate ’14, I am looking for internships. I now understand that an internship is vital! And I know I will learn more of what is needed in the PR fashion world doing on hands works through internships and so forth than what I would learn in a classroom. Thank you P.S- I live this site! It’s like my every morning “must read”. Very insightful !

• Lauren Taylor
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

This is a great article! As the author, you provided helpful information explaining the specific duties of a fashion publicist. I have to say, within the fashion industry there are a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to the fashion publicist career. What do you think is the most difficult part/task you have to perform as a fashion publicist? Is it hard to find PR careers after graduation? Currently, I am a senior studying public relations and I want to become a fashion publicist Are there any tips you could provide in regards to finding good internships?