So-what-do-fashion-publicists-do-FINAL

Fashion PR 101: So, What Do Fashion Publicists Do?

The world of Fashion Public Relations is an exhilarating, fast-paced field where the hours are long, and the work is extensive. Those who have mastered the skills of promoting fashion to a clothes-conscious public will prosper. It is a hands-on job, working with either a single brand or many brands, small or major, that's learned by doing.

The fashion industry is not a minor industry. Quite the opposite, it's huge. Furthermore, fashion dictates many of the behaviors and attitudes of the public. But it's a full industry that is highly competitive. Although it is an exciting area, it is also a stressful one, particularly during Fashion Week, the most important week for the fashion industry.

How do you as a fashion influencer not only get the word out about your client's fashion line but also make a public faced with myriad choices interested in what your clients have to offer? How do you make the brand grow? The role of a Public Relations Representative in the fashion world is critical and any individual attempting to explore this world must be proficient at the following steps:

1. You Must Create A Strong Brand For Your Client

What is a strong brand in the fashion industry? It's the one image that every member of the public must have when they think of your client's styles. Failure to create a distinctive brand will most certainly mean failure for your client. What skills do you have to narrow the focus of the apparel you are promoting? What is one or two things about your clients line that are distinctive? This is the single most important job of a Fashion Public Relations professional, and it is where all other responsibilities in the industry are born. The PR professional is in the background, but the brand must always be front and center.

2. You Must Know How To Work With Fashion Editors

One of the most important jobs for a Fashion Public Relations professional is to work with the editors of fashion magazines, particularly major fashion magazines. It's the PR professional's responsibility to develop relationships with fashion editors and their writing and photography teams. Effective buzz is created by fashion magazine teams to launch and promote a line. However, not every fashion designer's creations will make it into the pages of major fashion magazines. As with all things in the fashion business, competition is severe. What can you do to beat the competition for your clients?

3. You Must Work With Models And Celebrities

New fashion won't see the light of day if it is not presented by people who are admired by the public. That would include not only beautiful well-known models but also celebrities. When a celebrity wears a certain piece, the public, by way of fashion magazines and other venues, find out about it and want it. How skilled are you in working with models and celebrities and the agents who represent them? You will be expected to attend fashion shows, red carpet events, award shows, and other events that cater to your clients fashions. You'll be expecting to do everything possible to get the word out. Here is where people skills are crucial. You'll be mingling with some of the most important persons in the fashion industry, and word spreads fast. Failure to communicate efficiently and present a pleasing image will be a certain failure for your efforts as a PR professional and for your clients.

4. You Must Be Ready to Put out Fires

Not only may you be expected to work with editors and people on the inside, but you'll also work with customers, retail stores, and fashion companies. What skills do you have to make sure the customer is happy? What will you do if disaster strikes, such as a damaged shipment or merchandise that does not arrive on time? How good are you at handling complaints and keeping your client in a popular and positive light?

5. You Must Understand Media Trends

Interviews, press conferences, and press releases are an important part of the responsibilities of a Fashion Public Relations professional. A PR person must keep a strong relationship with the media. The ability to work with the media in gaining continued attention for your client's fashion is how to keep the fashion front and center in the public's eye. While doing that, a PR fashion professional must have the skills to handle the tough questions.

5. Innovation, Creativity and Juggling Multiple Interests are Ingredients for Success

With billions of people on social media, it is not an element of society that a Fashion Public Relations professional can ignore. Instagram, for example, is an active social media tool to display fashion to the public. There are at least 300 million people on Instagram who can be shown a client's styles on a daily basis. How proficient are you on working effectively with social media or on hiring and overseeing a professional social media expert to take over the reigns of this important responsibility? Also, in addition to revealing and presenting the clothes themselves, the day to day operations of a PR professional is increasingly about giving the public a more intimate look into the behind the scenes details of the fashion brand.

6. You Must Be Organized And Able To Prove the Value of Your Work

There may be everything from stockholder's reports, media resources, market resource publications, press releases and client reports to manage. You will be expected to keep the system moving for your clients while proving your value, over and over again.

The life of a Public Relations Fashion Specialist is an exciting one for someone who believes in the fashion and who can sincerely commit to the lines represented. You must be hardworking, personable, innovated and organized to be a successful Fashion Public Relations Specialist.

About Jonathan Leger

About Jonathan Leger is a small business owner and freelance writer. He also runs a popular question and answer site at AnswerThis.co.

• Christina Perry
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Great article! I’m looking to enter the fashion industry either in the Marketing or PR side. I have experience in both through internships and I’m in my last year of graduate school to receive my MBA in Project Management. If anyone has additional advice, job, or internship information about the fashion industry I would greatly appreciate it! I LOVE PR Couture! Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @styl3tym3

• Kelly
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Wow! I absolutely love this article – it’s definitely worth reading! It’s great to hear all of the fun details regarding Fashion PR. I am a die hard Kell on Earth fan…and I hope a second season is coming! Every time I watch the show, I dream about working there! Thanks for a great article.

• marieke
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Cool! Very great post. Interesting to hear an insiders view on fashion PR.

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Great interview. I just started watching Kell on Earth and have spent the past two weeks obsessively watching clips and downloading torrents (shhh).
    Nice to hear about fashion PR from a slightly different perspective.
    .-= Tamia´s last blog ..Whatever YOU like =-.

• Posted April 8, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!
    Im in my second year as a PR major and i can’t wait to get into Fashion PR!
    It’s been my dream :)
    Thanks for sharing!

• Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

I know I’m late in saying this, but I wanted to leave a note of thanks for posting this article! I keep coming back to re-read it. Keep up the great work!
    .-= Tyler´s last blog ..The First Designer Purchase =-.

• lisa
    Posted April 20, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

You’ve got to be kidding me. She must be related to someone. There is no way you can be an intern know nothing and 2 years later jump to be the Director of Communications . As someone whose been in the industry I’ve never seen that happen .Sorry I’m need to know the real story

• swalden
    Posted September 24, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink

I think fashion PR is such a interesting job I am going to school to be a pr and that was really helpful for me I take all the advice I can get. I live in the midwest and it is hard to help people understand what I want to do its like I live on another planet its going to be great to move to a city and be able to express my love for fashion to people who really get it!!!

• Rachel Majors
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

This is a great article. I love Kell on Earth too. I’ve always wondered the difference between Fashion PR and other types of PR.

• Kyotosandz
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I am glad that I fell upon this article, thank you for writing for it. I am interested in getting into the field of Fashion PR, but need some insight on the best way to start. Thank you for giving a view into the life of Mrs/Ms Moreland. It has been a helpful hand to my quest in becoming part of this industry.

• Roxychick85holla
    Posted March 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

way to go! i’ve always thought about going into Fashion PR, for now i’m in school for fashin design. But thanks again for this really thorough interview it def gives me more clarity.

• Elizakn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this kind of interview about what is really fashion pr since there is no much information found about this field. Since I am really interested in this sector, I have to say that this is a really inspiring interview for me. By reading all the tips given by Lindsey Green for someone who wants to work in fashion pr and how a typical day is for pr practitioners helps me a lot!

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

To add to this, here’s a great profile of Valentino’s Director of Public Relations, Carlos Souza

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

• Kim
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

• Mike Kortoci
    Posted April 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I was quite surprised that she was never into the fashion industry previously, nor had the desire to get in like most women out there. Great article, I wish Kelly all of the best

• Mike Kortoci
    Posted April 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

• Posted April 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Love the interview with Lindsey Green, this post showed a great insight into the PR fashion world.

• Posted April 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

• Fabrice L.B.
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Up until a few weeks ago I was ecstatic about dipping my feet into fashion PR.  Then someone told me that it doesn’t pay well.  I have to admit I was really discouraged, especially being that I’m spending a load of money completing two degrees (public relations and history).  But after reading this article I have definitely given it some thought again.

• Fabrice L.B.
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• Tim Jonson
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nice tips. I like it. Thank you.

free
    government cell phones

• abdiel technologies
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

http://www.Hound.com is a good source of jobs because it only shows you jobs from employer websites and every other job board out there
    Columbus job site is an excellent job site.We can search any kind of job in the site.It provides best jobs in any category.This site is doing excellent job
    public relations job

• abdiel technologies
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

public relations job

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

http://www.Hound.com is job portal site, it contain so many job for job seeker it has
    many option for job seeker.  Hound.com  having different options and different sector for job seeker
    it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• ab Tech
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

it has portal it means it connected to anther site also. It contain all types
    of jobs for different job seeker. Hound.com  is
    recruitment site they having so many advertisement for job-seeker.

fashion pr jobs

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad I read this. I want to be a designer & this article definitely answered my question

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

• Curious Bri
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

• Thabilet
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for writing this, as a young woman who is about to live her dream in the same industry im so inspired and i now have a couple of ideas to share with my co-workers .

Thank you, you did  agood job.

• Thabilet
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you, you did  agood job.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this post. I enjoyed this interview because it gave insight in the fashion PR world. This is the career path I have always wanted. I went to beauty school prior to going to University of Oregon for a PR degree in hopes it would lead me into fashion PR. I love hearing about how people start off and where life takes them.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

• Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I enjoyed reading about what fashion publicist and what they actually do. I am interested in fashion PR and also newly found this industry. It was helpful to read about how the fashion publicist is in charge of everything “regarding name, the brand, press, image, magazine credits.” I also enjoyed the advice section. It gives me hope for my new adventures in the public relations industry.

• Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

• Laura Ledesma
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Great read! I also think Kelly Cutrone is fascinating. Many people dislike her but I have “If You Have To Cry Go Outside” on my iPhone and I reference it all the time.

• Laura Ledesma
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

• AlexL
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

After reading this blog post, I was able to get a deeper understanding and feel about the industry that I thought I already knew so much about. Lindsey Green, Director of Communications for Jill Stuart, is among the most famous Fashion PR practitioners in the world, so what better way to dig into the “nitty gritty” of the field. I have a pretty good understanding of what the industry entails and what it has to offer, but some of the information in this post threw me for a loop. Green has, in my eyes, the perfect job. From her interview, it seems like a lot of work and overwhelming at times, but the good definitely seem to outweigh the bad. She is constantly working on the PR side of the company, keeping its image positive and reeling in clients and exposure, while continuing to communicate with editors and celebrities for their interviews, photo shoots, and other events. It pleased me to hear that a lot of the tasks and duties that Fashion PR practitioners take on in the field are learned “on the job.” I firmly believe that no matter how many PR classes you take you will never be fully prepared for everything that may be thrown your way. Green’s outlook on “jumping in and fearlessly doing it” is so true.
    The perks Green talks about in her interview excite me. Getting to wear their brand out and sell it by simply showing it off is amazing. Just like she says, not many other businesses get to be both 100 percent business oriented and creative. The events that Fashion PR practitioners get to attend and the connections that are made through relationships and the events is nothing short of amazing. The elaborate decorations and attire that many people see on TV and only dream of being apart of in real life, is a Fashion PR specialist career. They make a living out of being able to create, design, and put on astonishing events that are plastered all over the Internet, TV, magazines, and social media. A lot of hard work, dedication, personality and the right attitude make for a perfect Fashion PR practitioner, and Lindsey Green is an ideal woman in this industry to idolize.

• AlexL
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

• Posted May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

OMG!! This article is like amazing! I feel like this article ultimately answers all of the questions that I had about my career. The show “Kell on Earth” is really one of the best shows to me and she is a major inspiration to me. I am going into my senior year in college and I feel like this has given me a lot of details for the career path that I have chosen. I’m excited that posts like this are out there to help students like me who feel afraid of the real world. Again I’m excited about this article and I want to see more!

• Posted May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

• Posted June 5, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

WOW I love this article. it is so interesting to get a look into the world of someone who I think has really been changing the industry. This article is a great resource for someone hoping to be a fashion publicist!
    Thanks for the great article

• Posted June 5, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thanks for the great article

• Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!

• Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I LOVE this article!

• Posted August 21, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Thank you for the review! It is very actual for me, some of the info is just right what I need. It is very absorbing review. To be honest, I thought it would not be that interesting, however I was wrong. I’ve found lots of good info for myself. Regards!

• Posted August 21, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

• Ashley Monique
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

This interview was very helpful and inspirational. I love fashion and am majoring in journalism. From reading this I am definitely sure that this is the line of work I want to go in. I am hopeful that I will be able to become successful in this line of work!

• Ashley Monique
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

• Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I enjoy reading this because I learned much about fashion publicists and what is their job. To be honest I never evolved in this type of PR before and I am stunned how fashion PR is complex and interesting.

• Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

• Jen
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

What an inspiring interview! I am just finishing my undergraduate degree in PR and I have always had interest in the fashion industry. I started working in retail a few years ago and have loved working for the organization that hired me, which is unique to many people who have worked in retail, but I think it has really opened my eyes to the fashion world. I would love to move away from sales and find a position more on the corporate side of the company and the insight given in the interview has really been insightful. With the emergence of PR and growing awareness of its importance it seems like anyone starting out in the profession needs to put in the work in order to move up the ladder.

• Jen
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

• Posted December 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the great article. I am currently a Public Relations Post-Graduate Student that is very interested in the Fashion Industry and this article has helped me to better understand the role of PR in the Fashion Industry. I have learned that fashion PR not only includes “putting out fires”, but more-so focusing on how to gain exposure for the client that you are working for. It is also surprising to learn that fashion PR deals with setting up photoshoots and interviews that are related to your client. What I really gained from this interview is that the best way to see if the fashion industry is for you is to do an internship and get the hands-on experience as soon as possible. While education can help to prepare you for most situations, it is only through hands-on experience that you can determine if fashion PR is the right career for you.

• Posted December 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

• Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

This is a genius interview. For many reasons, but foremost because of Lindsey’s take on how the stress IS the fun part. This is something I’ve never been able to get anyone OUTSIDE the industry to understand. Especially those training to go into it. “The life” isn’t about the cocktail parties and tiaras… that becomes part of the job. The FUN part is how amazing you feel after pulling together the most brilliant show, with so many aspects to it that normal people would just lose count and go sit in a corner and cry. That’s not bragging rights, because it really is a form of insanity at it’s best, and you typically need a really good day of down time after. The stress will really and truly eat away at you at the same time that it boosts you up, but it’s the same rush as going into battle must be (thinking Roman soldiers here) with such intense chaos. If you pull through, those battle scars and dents in your helmet are what give you the high that makes it all worthwhile. If you are OCD, insanely bored with only one line of work and always read three or four books at the same time, then fashion is for you. What styles you wear and who you know are only a small part of it.

I also love that she is dressed in plaid button ups on her less visible days. Welcome to the other reality of the industry. On any shoot, or behind the scenes of any show, I am wearing jeans with multiple pockets on the legs which somehow become full of everything from bra bits to extra stockings to hairpieces… safety pins in my shirt and a roll of tape on my arm. It never starts out that way, but I’ve learned to just wear whatever in my wardrobe has multiple pockets and toss the heels.

Somebody up there said it’s not possible to jump into the position as Lindsey did. I just want to say that it’s more than possible, and I think that’s the same with any position in the industry. You need to be in the right place at the right time. Going to school definitely helps, especially if you are after a specific position or with a specific company.. and you want to tailor your entry to fit that… but often just hitting the floor running is what is required. I NEVER thought I would end up in fashion, and still, after twenty years of it I have a hard time saying I’m part of the fashion industry because it puts the wrong spin on what I do for a lot of people… but I started in film and bridal and ended up here completely by accident. I’m in a small town now, and I’m here because I was giving up the industry entirely… but somehow it always seems to find me :)

• Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

• Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

I absolutely loved this interview! I am currently a junior at Kent State Univeristy in Northeastern Ohio studying Public Relations and Fashion Media and I sometimes get discouraged. It’s difficult having to study study study when most of what I am perusing is “out of the class” teachings which was stated earlier on in this interview. Although I know I will stay in school and graduate ’14, I am looking for internships. I now understand that an internship is vital! And I know I will learn more of what is needed in the PR fashion world doing on hands works through internships and so forth than what I would learn in a classroom. Thank you P.S- I live this site! It’s like my every morning “must read”. Very insightful !

• Lauren Taylor
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

This is a great article! As the author, you provided helpful information explaining the specific duties of a fashion publicist. I have to say, within the fashion industry there are a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to the fashion publicist career. What do you think is the most difficult part/task you have to perform as a fashion publicist? Is it hard to find PR careers after graduation? Currently, I am a senior studying public relations and I want to become a fashion publicist Are there any tips you could provide in regards to finding good internships?

• Cayla Matthews
    Posted September 4, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I am interested in fashion but my big mistake was going to school to be a pharmacists. I always hear that being in the fashion industry is hard and that the job does not pay well. I really want to jump into being a PR in fashion with out having to change my major. How can I go about that? Any advice??