How to Write Fashion PR Goals, Strategies, Objectives, Tactics

How to Write Fashion PR Goals, Objectives, Strategies and Tactics

Goals, strategies, objectives, tactics....it's enough to make the fashion PR planning process feel as much like getting your eyelashes died (stinging, tearing, lots of blinking and terror-filled "when will it stop!" thoughts racing through your mind) than anything.

The next time you sit down to rock out a smart, sizzling and strategic fashion PR plan, drink a martini (kidding - but seriously how great is that photo!), and first make sure your planning process is up to code. Extra points if you can memorize and then recite the key differences - just watch your client/boss melt with awe because seriously, most of us have flubbed this up at least once or twice.

Behold, your PR plan refresher course/cheat sheet:

Goals

Think of goals like overarching long-term needs/hopes and dreams. They are typically broad, abstract and potentially difficult to quantify.

Example: US-based Lottie Lingerie wants to become a well-known brand in the UK.

Objectives

Think of objectives like those desired achievements that will assist with meeting the determined goals. They are statements of intent that explain what needs to happen, what needs to be achieved, or where the brand needs to be in order for goals to be met. They also need to be expressed in concrete, measurable terms.

Tips for writing PR objectives

• Start with an action verb - words like increase, reduce, improve, maintain work well
  • If you are using "by" you are writing a strategy, not an objective. Try again.

Example: To secure 15 blog posts on UK-based lingerie blogs within 2 months

Strategies

One step down in the PR planning process are the strategies. Poor strategies, they are the most misunderstood of all! Strategies are simply the "how" that, when done correctly, will help to ensure you meet your stated objective. Your strategies are also the guidelines that set up the strategic direction of your programs (ie your tactics).

Tips for writing PR strategies

• Use action verbs like Develop, Create, Promote, Target, etc
  • Did you just write Develop a look book to..... sorry kitten, strategies do not include the "to" phrase. The "to" in this case is to meet the stated objective. The stinker.
  • Also omit your tendancy to use "by" - as in "Promote my brand by developing a look book to - that look book you are all amped about? That, my friend is a tactic. What you DO with that look book is your strategy.

Example:  Promote Lottie Lingerie through personalized pitches to 50 UK-based lingerie bloggers

Tactics

Oh tactics...these are the specific "who's" and "whats" that define your program and plan. Seems silly it took so long to get here, right? But here we are. Tactics are specifics, they are action items.

Tips for writing PR tactics

• Tactics work best when accompanied by verbs like Implement, Utilize, Add, Contact, or Participate.
  • Add measurable outcomes like dates.

Example: Add 50 UK-based lingerie bloggers to media list by next Tuesday.

And there you have it! Follow these tips while working on your next PR, Marketing, Social Media, digitally integrated holistic 360 plan of world domination, and hopefully find yourself spending less time on the planning and more time on the wowing. After all, what is it they say? You're only as good as your last wow? Kidding again. Give yourself a hug.

Photo: Lindsey Garvey for Cake Plate, Design courtesy of Yazmina Cabrera, Girl with a Banjo.

About the author: Crosby

Known as the "fashion publicist's most powerful accessory," (SD-UT) and the "West Coast 'It' girl of fashion PR," (YFS Magazine) Crosby Noricks is a brand strategist, author and founder of PR Couture. Crosby was included in the iMedia 25 Class of 2012 Internet Marketing Leaders and Innovators, and enjoys helping fashion and lifestyle brands connect with their audiences in meaningful and creative ways.

• Katy Echols
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the useful tips! I have a specific interest in fashion PR so this resonated with me, but I think this advice could easily be translated to other industries. I especially appreciated your examples. Great work!

Katy Echols
    Writer, Editor, Designer
    Platform Magazine
    platformmagazine.com

• Katy Echols
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Katy Echols
    Writer, Editor, Designer
    Platform Magazine
    platformmagazine.com

• Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

As a PR major, I always love articles that discuss objectives, strategies and tactics – it’s a great way to review terms consistently throughout the term :) also, that photo IS fabulous!

• Posted June 16, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

I’m so glad I popped by to read this!  It’s not only pertinent in fashion blogging, but in a lot of other industries as well.

• Posted June 16, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

• Posted June 16, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

• Lacey
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

This is the most helpful PR article that I’ve come across in awhile. As someone who doesn’t have formal PR training, this is incredibly useful. Thank you!

• Lacey
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

• Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for this article. I go around and around on what’s a goal, objective, strategy etc. The keywords to use were very helpful.

• Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

• Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

• Amber Hutchins
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

So helpful, and so much fun! Posting this for my PR students, currently working on PR plans for their clients. :-)

• Sarah Kanthack
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

As a public relations student, I am currently learning how to write strategic communication plans. I agree with previous posts that this applies to other industries. It outlines the basic necessities that go into any strategic plan and provides public relations professionals with a reminder of how to build a plan that wows their client. Thank you for your post!

• Sarah Kanthack
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

• Posted November 29, 2012 at 3:34 am | Permalink

I’ve been meaning to look into fashion PR for awhile now, and haven’t gotten around to it. Goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics are important not just in fashion PR, but all PR and I’m not too sure it’s that different for any other kind of company or product. Also, don’t forget that goals are also SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound). Thanks for the helpful article!

• Posted November 29, 2012 at 3:34 am | Permalink

• Posted January 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you! It really helped me a lot. Ive been trying to find different ways to PR but i liked the way you organized it!

HypeandFashion.com

• Posted January 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

HypeandFashion.com

• LizeAntoinette
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I love how this article informs and educates with a hint of humor.
    And yes, that is a gorgeous photo!

• LizeAntoinette
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I love how this article informs and educates with a hint of humor.
    And yes, that is a gorgeous photo!

• Chelsea Louise Haden
    Posted April 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Brilliant article.

I’ve just come to do a new marketing plan and this has helped me loads.

Love the way it’s got a humorous tone to it as well!