7 Reasons to Love Working in Fashion PR

7 Reasons You Work in PR (& Love It!)

We've all read and heard how the PR industry is fast-paced, competitive and often lands on “most stressful” lists. And when newbies come into our office, I often share the following: 53 Signs You Work in PR

Indeed, it’s a bit of a reality check (shock treatment?), and I can remember times when my colleagues and I went through and checked off the ones we’ve experienced. We're storytellers after all, and at the end of the day, these experiences often make for good stories. And I share this one, too, which serves as sheer entertainment about the industry.

Some may think I'm crazy for sharing these links, but I do so because if you're still around after reading all of that...we should be able to work together just fine! You’re passionate and maybe a tad bit crazy!

On a serious note, this business is not for the faint of heart or those who don't adapt well or can't handle rejection or cower at the sound of 'no.' If you're lazy, this isn't the industry for you and flying under the radar? Good luck with that! Maybe at a big firm, but not for long because the radar identifies slacker-ific tendencies rather quickly.

We're not building spaceships here though, peeps. Like any job there are going to be challenges – ups, downs, crazy colleagues, long nights, hiring, firing, crappy clients, unpaid bills and moments where #@$%! hits the fan. Oh, and add fashion PR and its difficulty to "get in" into the mix...there may be weeping and ice cream comas in your future.

Now that we've gotten all of that out of the way, I want to talk about why it's FANTASTIC to be a publicist and work in the fashion PR field:

No two days are alike

It's a fast-paced industry with lots of change. If you like to have a variety of experiences, public relations is an industry where there are unique opportunities to make your client's mark and depending on where you work, there’s room for creativity, relationship-building, learning and growth (both professional and personal).

We are problem-solvers

I'm not talking crisis communications here, but the solving of a customer's desire to be seen and heard, share their talents, products and/or services. We put our thinking caps on and direct them to being innovative and informative.

We are usually 'in the know' first

We get the privilege of learning the latest trends and newest products before they hit the market. Discretion is key. We're dual purpose – great secret keepers and story tellers at the same time!

We excel in time management and being efficient

See bullet #1 - there are a lot of moving parts and being organized is an asset that your friends and peers recognize. Which may be how you end up organizing all the parties, gatherings and get-togethers, but you got this!

We meet lots of people and we don't have to be lonely (ever) unless we want to be

You have an opportunity to meet so many cool and interesting people in our field – from media to client collaborators. Just as you are always evolving and growing, so are the people you meet and these connections prove to be invaluable over the years and develop your “it’s who you know” network. And the virtual connections are endless, and bring a whole new meaning to “it’s a small world after all.” (Note: Which is why you should always be good to people! And you are, natch. You’re a publicist, the good kind!)

On the fashion PR side, swag anyone?

Bags, scarfs, hats, perfume, purses, so.much.stuff. You may eventually tire of such perks! OK, rare, but you learn the value of sharing because hoarding is out, giving is in.

Our brains are well-toned

You've heard your brain is a muscle and needs to be worked out? Use it or lose it? Well, if you do the PR game right, your brain is well-toned and can rock a bikini with the best of them. We are always "on" (except when we're not).

What reasons do you love being a publicist?

About the author: Nancy

Nancy Vaughn is an entrepreneur and principal, PR & Marketing Director of White Book Agency, a full-service public relations, marketing and special events firm, specializing in fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands. She excels at assisting media professionals and clients alike, and is called upon frequently by media outlets for her PR/business knowledge, coaching and industry connections. She leads strategic publicity and marketing campaigns for businesses across the country and her clients have been seen in/on: InStyle, New Beauty, Style.com, Forbes, Design Bureau, Luxe Interiors & Design, MSN Fitbie, E! TV, CNN Latino, Refinery 29, The New York Times, Daytime TV, Dwell and more.

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Love this!!

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I love that no two days are alike otherwise I’d get bored :)

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I finish up my master’s degree in May and will be making the big leap to New York to start my Fashion PR career! Articles like this one get me really excited about starting this new chapter. I know it’s going to be a challenge but I’m eager to learn. A well toned brained, variety, and time management are just a few of my favorite things! The job search starts next week, wish me luck! Thanks for the great read Nancy.

• Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Thank you and good luck, Autumn!

• Sarah
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Nancy,

I am getting ready to graduate from my university with a major in PR and minor in business administration. I am looking forward to exploring the working world. I am interested in event planning and fashion/retail. This post was exciting to read because I felt like all of the reasons applied to me. One of the reasons that caught my eye was that no two days are the same. This is something that is very important to me. I love to be unique and explore my creative side. I think that a PR career will give me an opportunity to do this by allowing me to work with people and think strategically. The other reason that caught my attention was that we excel in time management. My time in the journalism school has given me experience that taught me to work efficiently. Thank you for this awesome post! It made me even more excited to begin my career in PR and utilize the skills I have acquired.

Sarah

• Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Glad you enjoyed, Sarah and you’re looking forward to your future in PR!

• Posted March 8, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I am graduating in Spring with a degree in PR and this post was great to read because I can see what I have to look forward to. I feel like a lot of people don’t know what it takes to be in the PR industry and this post highlighted some of the skills, challenges and perks of the job. I also liked the tone of the post. It’s easy to sound negative about aspects of PR because there is so much going on day to day. As I was reading it I felt happy about all the aspects of PR you were talking about. It’s good to be reminded that I chose the right career path!

• Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Ruby ~ and happy that the article keeps you excited about your future in PR!

• Posted March 9, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Fashion PR may not be the route i’m going specifically, but I feel this article speaks to all aspects of PR. My favorite reason you mentioned was that, “We meet lots of people and we don’t have to be lonely (ever) unless we want to be.” As a junior, only one short year away from my career, I feel like I have met so many people, and I absolutely love that. I’m a people person, and in this field you have to be because you never know what type of client you’ll be thrown or what type of audience you’ll be given. I think networking is the fun part, but it’s networking efficiently that really helps us exceed in our PR careers. Great read, Nancy!

-Jonae Shaw
    Platform Magazine Writer/Editor

• Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Agreed on networking efficiently! Glad you enjoyed – thanks, Jonae!

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Nancy, I loved this post! I’m currently a junior PR major, and of course I want to work in fashion. This post got me really excited for my future. I’m interning this summer, and I can’t wait to gain more hands-on experience. I’m excited for the fast-paced nature of the industry, but I’m also nervous about making the adjustment. Do you have any tips for young PR pros trying to make a smooth transition?

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Hi Katie – glad you enjoyed! Time management is critical in our industry. Doing an internship while you’re in school, juggling a job, etc. will help you to manage your schedule accordingly and organize your day, tasks, etc. Consider attending Fashion PR Confidential that Crosby hosts. My agency hosts a Pre-Pro Boot Camp to get you ready as well. The fact that you’re interning this summer means you’re likely on the right track. Learn as much as you can from your supervisor, ask questions and also be prepared to share/offer up your talents and skills – you’ll do great! Good luck!