Interviewing Crosby Noricks of PR Couture is like being able to finally meet a childhood celebrity obsession. Ok – maybe that’s a bit too extreme; but when it comes to the blogging world, Crosby is definitely up there in the who’s who list. - Tony Wang, Post Fashionism
Official Third-Person Bio
Known as the “fashion publicist’s most powerful accessory,” (San Diego Union-Tribune) and the “West Coast ‘It’ girl of fashion PR,” (YFS Magazine) Crosby Noricks is the founder of PR Couture and author of Ready to Launch: The PR Couture Guide to Breaking into Fashion PR, available on Amazon.
PR Couture is a beloved resource among fashion and PR students publicists and fashion brands. Each month, a community of more than 100k followers rely on Crosby and PR Couture to provide fresh insight into public relations, marketing and social media as well as expert interviews, strategy and job leads.
Crosby was included in the iMedia 25 Class of 2012 as a key influencer in interactive marketing, and is an experienced fashion & consumer marketing strategist. For nearly five years Crosby was instrumental in establishing and growing the award-winning social media department at Red Door Interactive, a leading digital marketing agency.
These days, Crosby spends her time developing content-rich communication strategies for fashion brands and agencies, managing PR Couture and mentoring fashion publicists. Connect with her on Twitter @prcouture or @crosbynoricks.
Slightly Cheekier, First-Person Bio
Hi Kittens! After two years managing the in-house PR and marketing department for a celebrity-inspired fashion jewelry company, I was also fresh out of grad school with a killer Master's thesis about fashion PR eagerly awaiting a lifetime of dust-on-shelf gathering. So, I started PR Couture. I was tired of the stereotype that fashion publicists are more concerned with air-kisses than credibility (boo!) and frustrated that a google search on fashion PR brought back pretty much zilch (this was back in 2006 you see). So I threw together the basics in a weekend, determined to provide a credible, honest, and engaging forum about fashion public relations online.
Unlike the dark personalities reflected from the 'Kelly Cutrone types' of the industry, Noricks is funny, positive, down-to-earth, and a real girl's girl. - Meredith Corning, Examiner.com
Since that adrenaline infused weekend, PR Couture has grown, prospered and evolved into the leading fashion PR resource online. We now offer an agency directory, fashion media lists, a rockin' job board, two books and various consulting services. Over the last six years I've so had many incredible experiences. Microsoft invited me to cover the shows at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and I was one of the first bloggers invited by WWDMAGIC and TeenVogue to report live from the tradeshow. I've also been awarded a shiny black rock with "Blogger of the Year" written on it, given the social media keynote presentation at LavaCon, and co-taught two crazy-fun instances of Fashion PR Confidential, a 2-day fashion PR workshop in partnership with Danika Daly.
Crosby Noricks is a PR professional who gets social media and her efforts with PR Couture noticeably help nurture aspiring industry professionals and strengthen the skills of those that are already apart of it. - Nadia Hussain, Polyvore
Untile recently, I was Director of Social Media/Content Strategy at Red Door Interactive. I very much enjoyed the opportunity to establish and then manage the social media department, working with fashion and consumer brands. USA Today called the work I did with Charlotte Russe at Red Door a "social media supernova," amd iMedia included me in their Class of 2012 - a list of Internet Marketing Leaders and Innovators. I've also worked in-house for a jewelry company, at various fashion and lifestyle agencies, and even ran my own consulting shop for a bit.
I have also taught fashion PR and marketing courses at FIDM and the Art Institute and have a Master's Degree in Mass Communication and Media Studies from San Diego State University and a B.A. from Pitzer College. The aforementioned master's thesis, "From Style to Strategy: An Exploratory Investigation of Public Relations Practice in the Fashion Industry" was the first academic study of its kind (I've never been one to wait for somebody else to go first). Highlights from this work were presented at the 2009 Popular Culture Association Conference in New Orleans, after which I promptly put on bunny ears and a tail for a pub crawl to benefit the SPCA. I really like kittens.
What the stars and personality tests say:
- I'm an INFJ, Type 5/7 on the Enneagram and my strengths are input, strategic, maximizer, ideation, and intellection.
- I am a Gemini with an Aquarius ascendent and a Sagittarius moon.
- And, for the extra curious, my love language is Quality Time, followed by Acts of Service. Yum.
[Crosby] is endearing, witty, insightful and her talk was very motivating. Besides providing insight into the world Fashion PR and the power of blogging, she also shared with us what fashion means to her on an intimate level. She eloquently explained how sharing ones personal and professional experiences [through social media] builds relationships. - Erika Vierkeck, fashion designer
Let's work together!
Like what you hear? Want me to talk with you and yours? Book a strategy session or contact me about a short or long-term project. I love sharing what I know and collaborating on everything from brand identity to social media strategy. I can also dance a jig (really, I grew up wanting to be Janet Jackson's choeographer and instead became a competitive Irish dancer), and make up songs like nobody's business. Actually, is there any way to make that my business? Ah well, back to you! E-mail me at crosby[at]prcouture.com
Fancy a chat?
For the past several years, I have been putting those junior high drama classes to good use, speaking to crowds about fashion PR, marketing and social media at industry and student conferences. One time I did this in a turquoise wig (the color of Twitter's branding, obvs) and it appears I will never live that down. If you'd like to book me at your event, shoot me a note and/or download my speaker sheet.
- November, 2013- Fashionista.com "How to Make it in Fashion," Conference mentor
- October, 2013 - IFabbo Conference, PR Panel
- May, 2013 - Two Point Oh Plus USA, The Business of Blogging
- March, 2013 - Florida State University Retail Summit, Fashion PR Trends and Tools
- March, 2012 - Style X SXSW Panel, Today’s Fashion Media Business: Same Same, But Different?”
- February, 2012 - San Diego Press Club Panel, Facebook for Journalists
- February, 2012 - Creativity Pays, The Conference Board
- February, 2010 - WWDMAGIC/Teen Vogue Panel
- October, 2010 - Getting Personal: Building Consumer Loyalty in a Crowded Market, SDSU Alumni Panel
- October, 2010 - Social Media, San Diego Direct Marketing Association
- October, 2010 - The Business of Fashion, Pitzer College Alumni Panel, River Club New York
- September, 2010 - LavaCon, "You're Only as Good as Your Last Tweet," Closing Keynote
- August, 2010 - WWD Magic Tradeshow, "Digital Fashion Marketing," Panelist, Las Vegas
- June, 2010 - Fashion Camp LA "Digital Fashion PR Trends," Los Angeles
- May, 2010 - Fashion Group International, "Social Media Secrets," Panelist, Los Angeles
- April, 2010 - La Jolla Fashion Film Festival, "Fashion Meets New Media," Panelist, San Diego
- January, 2010 - Public Relations Student Society of America Conference, "Fashion PR Trends," San Diego
- October, 2009 - Fashion Industry Development Conference, "Digital Fashion PR," San Diego
- October, 2009 - Threading the Needle: The Future of Fashion Design, New York
- October, 2009 - 140 Character Conference, "Twitter for Fashion Retail Marketing," Los Angeles
- September, 2009 - Independent Fashion Blogger's Evolving Influence Conference, Panelist, NYC
- September, 2009 - Ad Club, "Come Tweet with Me," San Diego
- February, 2009 - FOCUS Fashion Networking, Featured Speaker, San Diego