Public Relations Assistant
We represent the brightest in indie beauty, home and lifestyle!
Allyson Conklin Public Relations (ACPR) is a seven-year-old Fort Collins, Colorado based boutique public relations agency specializing in beauty, home and lifestyle brands. We’re hustlers, polished communicators and forward thinkers who live and breathe creativity and strategy. We help indie brands get noticed by the likes of media including Vogue, MyDomaine, Refinery29, Apartment Therapy, Cosmopolitan, and Real Simple. We consider our relationships, with editors, clients and our own team, our most prized possessions. We’re conscientious, quick on our feet, detail-oriented and bring our A-game to whatever we’re working on. We’re a small but mighty team of multi-tasking self-starters that thrive in an ultra collaborative (#youcansitwithus), fast paced environment. We like to think we’re pretty lucky, as we love what we do (and do what we love), while representing the brightest in beauty, home and lifestyle.
We’re seeking a savvy professional to join our team as a Public Relations Assistant. This position will report directly to the Founder & Principal. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or another relevant area with both internship and work experience. Ideal candidates will have a solid understanding of public relations (with an emphasis in media relations), vast knowledge of media outlets, proven track record of success in their career, and a basic understanding of how to market beauty, home and lifestyle brands.
This is a full time, salaried position that includes benefits including: paid time off, paid company holidays, holiday bonus, 50% health, dental and vision insurance, mobile phone stipend, fitness stipend, annual enrichment trip and conference, regular team building activities, and employee meals.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Support Founder & Principal with day-to-day requests
· Achieve monthly objectives set by Founder & Principal
· Update and maintain all company lists: media tracking, press coverage, monthly pitches, monthly focuses, etc.
· Compile and submit daily press hit sweeps
· Manage the ACPR blog: What We’re Reading, 20 Questions With, regular posts, etc.
· Management of magazine subscriptions
· Writing projects
· Develop strong relationships with clients
· Act as backup to Public Relations Coordinator as point-of-contact for clients
· Attend in-person meetings with clients when appropriate
· Develop strong relationships with media
· Identify, pitch and follow up with media
· Create and distribute high impact and creative media email blasts
· Rapid Response daily pitching
· Identify and pitch feature story opportunities
· Secure press hits: long lead, short lead, broadcast, awards, etc.
· Assist in the creation of press materials (fact sheets, bios, press releases, media alerts, pitch letters, etc.)
· Schedule media visits and appointments
· Fulfillment of client product mailings
· Management of editorial calendars and awards
· Identify other client exposure opportunities: sponsored posts, gifting, trade shows, events, etc.
· Attend in-person meetings with media when appropriate
· Management of ACPR social media channels
· Strategically write and schedule social media content calendars on a monthly basis
· Upload client press hits to Facebook
Basic job requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related area
· Prior PR internship and work experience
· Be committed to building a fat rolodex of contacts
· Demonstrate knowledge of how to land press hits, and maybe even have a few existing hits to share
· Be an excellent communicator—verbal, written and beyond—with a strong understanding of both the AP and creative writing styles
· Be a strategic thinker with endless amounts of creativity
· Be a self starter and multi-tasking master that’s highly organized, have the initiative to start and maintain projects, and be willing to go above and beyond the job description
· Be a pop culture junkie and know what’s hot in the press and to consumers
· Be passionate about the beauty, home and lifestyle categories
· Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, Cision, InDesign and WordPress
All qualified candidates should send their resumes and a short description explaining why they want to work at ACPR to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.