Ah May, the month of memes (or so it seems!). While it might feel likely simply the last month before summer hits, the fifth month of the year is actually full of great lifestyle story opportunities for digital pubs, not to mention agency and client social feeds. Read on!
(never gets old)
1. Last-minute gift ideas for graduates: They really do grow up so fast. Luckily for you, that means many family members and friends are scrambling to grab gifts for their graduates just weeks or days before their commencement ceremonies. Focus on lifestyle and business clients that have a quick-ship or online gift certificate option for a better chance of being featured.
2. Mother’s Day: Now’s the time to pitch all last-minute gifts for mothers of humans, pets and mammas to be. Show some love to the mom-bosses in your office as well as clients with a dedicated social post thanking them for all of their hard work.
3. Vegan Month – This holiday offers the perfect opportunity for animal-friendly fashion and beauty brands to shine. You can use a cruelty-free angle when pitching for Mother’s Day gift guides, or have your client write an opinion piece about why being cruelty-free is crucial to their brand ethos.
4. Wine about it – You don’t have to be a level 3 sommelier to get a client feature for National Wine Day (May 25). Try pitching places to go, food pairings and clothing items to seamlessly transition from the office to happy hour to celebrate. Heck, host an office wine tasting or happy hour for social content and good wine vibes all around.
5. Cinco de Mayo – now is a great time to pitch partywear brands and any clients with roots in the Chicanx community.
6. May “Gray” – Beauty, fashion or something in-between- pitching a gray color story ties in perfectly with the “May Gray” theme and offers a welcome break from overdone spring pastels.
7. Summer Blockbusters – Take advantage of the busy movie season and pitch looks that are inspired by upcoming movies.
8. May flowers – For all the love and attention floral prints and pastels garner around springtime, there’s a lot to be said about clean beauty products featuring floral ingredients like lavender and chamomile.
9. Fair Trade Day – Falling on May 13 aka Mother’s Day and many a graduation day, this is a prime tie-in for of course, fair trade brands including coffee, candles, skin care and apparel, but those following any type of better guidelines can use this day as inspiration for related story ideas.
10. Mental Health Awareness Month – with frank conversations about mental health already trending (see: Ban.do anxiety necklaces) the entire month of May opens up opportunities to discuss and pitch self-care, clients/employees willing to get real about their mental health struggles, and various work-life-balance-inspired pieces.
Of course, we close out the month in the US with Memorial Day and hopefully a nice 3-day weekend to bask in multiple placements. Good luck and happy pitching!
Want a sneak peak at next month? June SHORT-LEAD PITCH ANGLES + SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT IDEAS
Grab your free email Pitch Template
Start crafting your best pitches yet. Learn our signature 3-part process for reply-worthy communication.