Name: Kelly Howard
Location: los angeles
Find us online: @eightsixtysouth
5 Things About eightsixtysouth
Our Mission: EightSixtySouth is a strategic communications agency that works across multiple verticals: Strategy, Public Relations, Digital, Influencer Engagement, Social Media, Copywriting and Events. We work with a diverse roster of clients across the lifestyle, beauty & fashion industries, developing multi-faceted, impactful strategies while focusing on data-driven results..
Get to know a few of our clients: Our expertise includes working with large, national brands such as W Hotels, Sephora and Men’s Fitness, to boutique brands such as Krystle Knight Jewellery, The Beach People and Swedish Hasbeens.
Agency Superpower: At the end of the day, you want to be in business with someone who gives a sh*t and has your back. And we do just that – we love what we do, and it shows.
Recent Agency Win: The Grand Opening of THE WALL, LA’s newest & largest boutique fitness studio on the corner of Wilshire & La Brea.
Currently working on: We’re currently working on the West Coast launch of Beauty² (pronounced Beauty Squared) and Metal+Smith, two boutique trade events introducing mindful beauty and fine jewelry brands, respectively, to the market.
5 things about kelly
Q: Rise and shine: what are the first three things you do after waking up in the morning?
- Check my phone and do a quick scan of emails & the day’s schedule….I know, I know, it’s awful. But it’s the truth.
- Cuddle my pup – she usually sleeps under the covers with her head on my pillow. Yes, like a human.
- Coffee. All the coffee.
Q: Sip and savor: what's your go-to drink to fuel your busy day?
I wish I was one of those girls who could drink green juice or hot water with lemon to give me a boost, but no…Grande Almond Milk Latte.
Q: #Obsessed: What's something you recently discovered that you can’t live without?
Q: My Two Cents: What piece of advice do you love to share?
Always be looking for opportunity – every person you meet, article you read, social media account you scroll past, has the opportunity to teach you something. Consume information thoughtfully, make authentic and meaningful connections (in person! Not just over email), and be prepared to work your ass off. If you don’t, someone else will be there to take your place.
What are 5 things on your radar?
1. “Nothing is for nothing – the skills we acquire along the way are usually far more transferrable than we realize.” A recent podcast episode from Baily Hancock. interviewing my former colleague and good friend Melanie Bender, sharing her journey from Environmental Planning to her current position as the VP of Marketing & Brand Development at Clique. In today’s rapidly changing world, you can’t get caught up in what you want to do 15 years from now – because in 15 years, the world might look much different. Instead, be curious and learn as much as you can along the way – you never know when those skillsets & learnings will come into play down the line.
2. No wonder my email inbox is never empty – it’s because I’m always in meetings. Fast Company points out that CEO’s spend 70% of their time in meetings.
3. As a girl who entered the PR world before the term “influencer” even existed, this one hit home. Are we sick of social media? A digital media pro breaks down his thoughts for Fashion Weekly Daily.
4. Still not confident about the CEO or Director title on your business card? We’ve all been there….jokes, many of us are still there. Career Contessa offers advice on how to overcome imposter syndrome.
4. “At various points, I’ve been the HR, finance, account manager, the coffee maker, and the deal-closer.” Jaclyn Johnson, CEO of Create & Cultivate, shares the 4 things that kept her sane when starting her company.