Written by Rebecca Dersh, PR Manager, Cision
Holiday Gift Guides have proven to still drive a ton of traffic as shoppers search for the perfect gifts every year. It was even recently reported that toy brands are paying Amazon millions of dollars just to be featured in their annual holiday gift guide.
With the holidays just around the corner, earned media leader, Cision, spoke to journalists and influencers to hear what they really think about gift guides, from upcoming trends to tips for pitching. As a result of these conversations, Cision published their 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Pitching Kit.
Here are some takeaways from the pitching kit to support PR pros:
WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE TO PR PROFESSIONALS TRYING TO PITCH YOU?
- “It’s a good idea to send samples automatically, as my inbox gets inundated this time of year and I may miss emails, but will go dig them up if a product of interest lands on my desk!” – Alysa Jung, Senior Editor, Hearst Lifestyle Group
- “Like other journalists, I am inundated with emails daily, so the shorter the better. I love having all the important info in one paragraph: Item, what it’s about, price, link, etc.” – Marika Flatt, Travel Editor, Texas Lifestyle Magazine
- “I like to hear about gifts that contribute to a cause, or benefit a worthy issue or group.” – Lois M. Collins, Reporter, Deseret News
“Send samples automatically, as my inbox gets inundated this time of year and I may miss emails, but will go dig them up if a product of interest lands on my desk!” – Alysa Jung, Senior Editor, Hearst Lifestyle Group
WHAT DO YOU THINK THE MOST POPULAR HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE ITEM(S) OF 2019 MIGHT BE?
- “Items that solve a problem or are a hack to make something quicker and easier.” – Marika Flatt, Travel Editor, Texas Lifestyle Magazine
- “Technology products. With the world advancing so rapidly, everyone is always on the lookout for new tech.” – Mike Fox, Editor, The Fox Magazine
- “Top holiday gifts for 2019 would include personalized/customized gifts, STEM learning products, products that are CBD or organic in skincare and/or edible gift items.” – Rachel Kapur, Editor, Urban Milan
WHAT ARE THE TOP HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE TRENDS SO FAR IN 2019?
- “We are seeing a lot of innovative tech items in homes that are incorporating Google/Alexa, customized gifts – like gift cards with personal pictures – or gifts that can be personalized, anything from puzzles to towels.” – Rachel Kapur, Editor, Urban Milan
- “Fitness, wellness, personalized items, small electronic items.” – James Andrew, Senior Media Editor, StyleMTV.com
WHY ARE HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE PAGES IMPORTANT?
- “Our readers trust our opinion. As a micro-influencer, I can direct them to items they might not think of- or even find- on their own.” – Allison Blackman Dunham, Publisher & Editor, Advice Sisters
- “They allow an inclusive perspective for not only brands but audiences as well to get a sense of what’s new and what someone they know might need.” – Mike Fox, Editor, The Fox Magazine
You can download Cision’s 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Pitching Kit here.
Cision Ltd (NYSE: CISN) is a leading global provider of earned media software and services to public relations and marketing communications professionals. Cision software allows users to identify key influencers, craft and distribute strategic content, and measure meaningful impact. Cision has over 4,800 employees with offices in 22 countries throughout the Americas, EMEA, and APAC. For more information about its award-winning products and services, including the Cision Communications Cloud, visit www.cision.com and follow Cision on Twitter @Cision.