Are you better suited to a career in marketing or PR? And what the heck is the actual difference, anyway?
From the outside looking in, distinctions between these two functions can appear minor – and increasingly the tools used are similar . However, while Promotion is a one of the 5 Ps of Marketing (hello Marketing grads!), but ask any PR pro worth her eyelash extensions and she will tell you that promotion is just part of what falls under the purview of public relations (hello PR grads!).
Think of PR and Marketing like ice cream and brownies. Each are great on their own, but together – well that’s a special treat. The opportunity here is to focus your career on driving conversions (marketing) or conversations (PR), focus on sales (marketing) or story (PR).
- Support sales objectives with direct calls to action
- Conversion + product copywriting
- Short-term purchase drivers
- One-way messaging between company + customer
Think of PR and Marketing like ice cream and brownies. Each are great on their own, but together – well that’s a special treat.
Public Relations Skills
- Support brand perception with messaging and positioning
- Persuasive writing + media pitching
- Long-term reputation management
- Two-way dialogue between company + audience
What’s the same?
- Research + reporting
- Strategy + analysis
- Creative ideation + content
Which career path calls to you?