As December seems intent on flying by faster than ice skates on a freshly Zamboni’d rink, I missed dear PR Couture’s third birthday by a week. So yay! Happy Birthday to PR C, you are so fancy and so special and so totally three!
2009 has been a delicious year for me as PR Couture continues to grow and expand its coverage and reach. We were recognized by Evan Charmichael as one of the Top Niche Lifestyle Blogs in 2009 and I made it up to New York twice! In June the lovely Smashing Darling’s threw PR Couture an amazing party in the new Nolcha retail space, and then I was back in September, sponsored by the Microsoft Windows Phone to attend Fashion Week in New York. During NYFW I was lucky enough to speak on the Independent Fashion Blogger’s panel, “Evolving Influence,” with an amazing set of fashion industry peers. Later in the year, I was invited to speak about the evolution of fashion PR and emerging fashion PR trends to PR students at the Public Relations Student Society’s national conference.
Other highlights include going down to New Orleans in April to present findings from my Master’s Thesis about Fashion PR, presenting on a panel with fashion marketing experts Macala Wright Lee and Maria Ogneva about Twitter and fashion retail at the 140 Character Conference in Los Angeles, being the featured speaker to a local San Diego fashion networking group where I was able to share my success story and a last-minute decision to attend Portland Fashion Week. Phew!
In honor of three years of blogging and in lieu of the standard Friday links post, I sifted through the archives to pull out some of the my favorite posts from the last three years. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for your readership – your comments, emails and support are truly one of the best gifts in my life. Now onto the posts!
Marie Claire’s Twitter Strategy and Fashion PR Pitch Tips
- Interviewing Marie Claire’s online team about their experience with social media provided powerful insight into how print journalism can leverage social media tools like Twitter to build community and provide unique opportunities for readers to experience the mag in new ways.
Show Me The Pretty: Fashion PR with Madras 641
- The very first installment of Show Me The Pretty, this interview with Madras641 is filled with amazing advice from a variety of PR practitioners and I am proud of the way this recurring indie fashion PR segment came together.
The Balancing Act: Tips for Building Fashion PR/Blogger Relationships
- Dina Fierro’s guest post does a great job of examining blogger relations from both the blogger as well as publicist’s perspective. It was great to see the comments pour in on this sometimes sticky element of fashion PR.
Fashion PR Tip: Getting Personal with Media Relations
- Nancy’s post on better media relations provides great insight into the importance of establishing relationships with media and proving your ongoing worth as a publicist.
Fashion Blogs + Free Samples: The PR Community Speaks
- This article was my first attempt at sending out a HARO query and I tried to take a more traditional journalistic approach, both in researching the subject and then providing structure and themes around the varying viewpoints. Later in the year I rewrote this post and it was included as a feature article in the September issue of O’Dwyers PR Report, a print PR trade publication.
So You Want a Fashion PR Internship
- One of the hottest topics in the PR Couture inbox is how to break into the industry. This post breaks down how to go about landing that first internship.
In-House vs Agency for the Fashion PR Practitioner
- Having worked both sides of the fashion PR pie, this article shares my perspective on the pro’s and con’s of working in-house for a brand or tackling multiple accounts as an agency practitioner.